The British Ambassador's Residence in Budapest was built in 1925, originally as the home of Hanna Hódosi and her husband Tibor Scitovszky. Their portraits, painted by Philip de Laszlo, used to once hang in their elegant neo-baroque villa. They now symbolise a link between two nations, across cultures and histories.
Written by Dr Laura Popoviciu, Curator (Historical)
We are grateful to Sandra de Laszlo for alerting us to the Christie’s sale, the Foreign and Commonwealth Office for contributing towards the purchase of the paintings, British Ambassador Iain Lindsay and Dr Katherine Field from the De László Archive Trust for information and archival material on the two paintings.