Henry Sidney, 1st Earl of Romney (1641-1704) polician, army officer, envoy to The Hague 1679-1681

  • About the work
    Location
    Country: Netherlands
    City: The Hague
    Place: British Embassy

    Henry Sidney, first Earl of Romney wears a wig, neck tie and suit of armour. A golden sash is tied around his waist. His left hand rests delicately over the mouth of a cannon, while he holds a baton in this right hand.

    This portrait is attributed to Sir John Medina. Romney was also painted as a child and also in later life by Sir Peter Lely and examples of Lely’s portraits are at Penshurst, Kent, and in the collection of Earl Spencer. A miniature portrait by Samuel Cooper, showing Romney as a young man, is held in a private collection.

  • About the artist
    Painter Sir John Baptiste de Medina was born in Brussels, the son of a Spanish officer serving in the Netherlands. He was apprenticed to François Duchatel, before moving to London in about 1686. He was primarily a portraitist but also illustrated an edition of ‘Paradise Lost’ (published 1688) and produced subject paintings. In c.1695 he moved to Edinburgh with his wife and children, where his first commissions came from the circle of George, first Earl of Melville. In about 1700 William Aikman joined Medina’s studio and may have helped with a commission from the Royal College of Surgeons for a series of 29 portraits of its members (1697-1708). After being granted naturalisation, Medina was knighted. He died in Edinburgh at the age of c.51.
  • Explore
    People
    Sidney, Henry, 1st Earl of Romney
    Places
    Materials & Techniques
    canvas, oil, oil painting
  • Details
    Title
    Henry Sidney, 1st Earl of Romney (1641-1704) polician, army officer, envoy to The Hague 1679-1681
    Date
    Medium
    Oil on canvas
    Dimensions
    height: 122.00 cm, width: 91.50 cm
    Acquisition
    Purchased from Christie's, 29 April 1949
    Provenance
    With Christopher Wood; by whom sold through Christie's, London, on 29 April 1949 (Lot 182), for £5.5.0; from which sale purchased by Richard Walker on behalf of the Ministry of Works
    GAC number
    758