The East Prospect of Burton upon Trent in the County of Stafford
About the work
Dominating this view of the Staffordshire town of Burton-upon-Trent is the church of St Modwen, built in 1726 on the site of an ancient abbey. Traces of the abbey can be seen in the market, near the church. To the right of the composition is Burton Bridge, an extensive stone bridge spanning the River Trent. The river was made navigable as far as Burton in the 1720s and the recently increased prosperity of the town is indicated by the central row of townhouses with large, well-kept gardens.
About the artist
Brothers Samuel and Nathaniel Buck were the leading British topographical draughtsmen and engravers of the 18th century. They produced several hundred drawings and engravings, including 87 ‘Prospects’ of England and Wales. The engravings are important visual records of the appearance of British urban landscapes prior to the Industrial Revolution. In many cases, the places depicted have since disappeared or changed beyond recognition. Their dedication in recording almost every corner of the country has left modern viewers with an invaluable record of Britain’s past. As demand for their prints fell away, Nathaniel took over a furniture business, while Samuel tried several professions, including teaching draughtsmanship and cleaning pictures.
- The East Prospect of Burton upon Trent in the County of Stafford
- Coloured engraving
- Purchased from Parker Gallery, March 1965
- GAC number