This bird’s-eye view of St. James’s Park continues across the distant fields which once surrounded the park. In the sky above the landscape, four cherubs support a banner which reads: 'Her Maj.ties [sic] Royal Palace & Park of St. James's.' A key below the image clearly indicates which buildings are represented. To the far left is the Old Horseguards, which had decayed beyond repair by 1750 and was demolished and replaced with a much grander, Palladian structure. The new building, built between 1753 and 1755, was designed by William Kent (c.1685–1748) and still survives today. On the far right of the print, part of Banqueting House can be seen.
Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. This category only includes cookies that ensures basic functionalities and security features of the website. These cookies do not store any personal information.
Any cookies that may not be particularly necessary for the website to function and is used specifically to collect user personal data via analytics, ads, other embedded contents are termed as non-necessary cookies. It is mandatory to procure user consent prior to running these cookies on your website.