Chelsea with Part of the Old Church & Sir Hans Sloane’s Tomb
About the work
Sir Hans Sloane (1660-1753) was a physician and a collector of objects from around the world. After he bequeathed his collection to the nation, it provided the foundation of the British Museum. Sloane's tomb is now located in the grounds of Chelsea Old Church, on Old Church Street.
About the artist
Topographical painter, watercolourist and lithographer William Parrott was the son of a farmer from Aveley, in Essex. He was initially apprenticed to engraver John Pye but later virtually abandoned engraving in favour of watercolour painting. Parrott exhibited in London at the Royal Academy (1835-63) and also at the British Institution, Royal Society of British Artists and elsewhere. He lived briefly in Paris (1842-43) and then Rome (1844-45), and published a series of twelve lithographs titled ‘Paris et ses Environs’ (1843). In 1851 he made a tour of Germany and he also paid frequent visits to Brittany and Normandy. Parrott occasionally painted figure subjects, including a caricature of J. M. W. Turner (1840; Ruskin Museum, Oxford).
- Chelsea with Part of the Old Church & Sir Hans Sloane’s Tomb
- published October 1840
- Colour lithograph
- Purchased from Parker Gallery, April 1964
- GAC number