Her Majesties Royal Palace & Park of St. James’s
About the work
This engraved bird’s-eye view of St. James’s Park, published in the early 18th century, also includes the surrounding fields and distant hills. In the sky four cherubs support a banner, the lettering on which dedicates the image ‘To Her most Serene and most Sacred Majesty ANNE…’ The engraving is printed from two plates and the two resulting prints have been joined to form a single sheet.
A key below the image of St. James’s Park clearly indicates which buildings are represented. To the far left is the Old Horseguards, which had decayed beyond repair by 1750, was demolished and replaced with a much grander, Palladian structure. The new building, built between 1753 and 1755, was designed by William Kent and survives to this day.
British 18th century unknown
- Her Majesties Royal Palace & Park of St. James’s
- published 1724-1728
- Coloured engraving
- height: 56.70 cm, width: 90.60 cm
- Purchased from Frank T Sabin, April 1963
- GAC number