#connectedbyart

Follow, share and connect through art

The Chinese Pagoda and Bridge Erected over the Canal in St. James’s Park for the Grand Jubilee of the 1st of August 1814

Richard Holmes Laurie (1777 - 1858)

Coloured engraving

published 1 August 1814
  • About the work
    Location
    Country: France
    City: Paris
    Place: British Embassy

    This image shows the lawn and Canal within St James’s Park, the Chinese Bridge and Pagoda erected for the Grand Jubilee, tents for refreshments and dancing and the ascent of Mr. Sadler in the car with his balloon. The scene, which shows the park just before dusk while preparations to illuminate the bridge and pagoda were still underway, was described in an article in ‘The Gentleman’s Magazine’ of August 1814:

    ‘Tents were pitched in rows along the sides of the Canal; and at regular intervals national flags were hoisted. A number of Thames watermen had permission to ply on the Canal, and many worthy citizens and their families enjoyed an aquatic diversion for the first, and perhaps the last time, on this Regal stream;… The time, til dark, was chiefly employed by the company in walking backwards and forwards, or getting their dinner. The only public amusement consisted in the ascent of the Balloon from the front of the Queen’s House…’

  • About the artist
    Map publisher and seller Richard Holmes Laurie was the son of Robert Laurie (c.1755–1836), a mezzotint engraver and printseller. He was apprenticed to his father, a member of the Stationers' Company, before launching his career as an engraver of mezzotints. Engraver Alexander Findlay the elder (1790–1870), who had an engraving business in Pentonville, London, did a considerable amount of work for Laurie, as did his son, Alexander George Findlay, who later took over the engraving business. Laurie died at 53 Fleet Street on 19 January 1858.
  • Explore
  • Details
    Title
    The Chinese Pagoda and Bridge Erected over the Canal in St. James’s Park for the Grand Jubilee of the 1st of August 1814
    Date
    published 1 August 1814
    Medium
    Coloured engraving
    Acquisition
    Purchased from parker Gallery, October 1960
    GAC number
    5356