A View in the Island of Jamaica, of Roaring River Estate belonging to William Beckford Esq. near Savannah la Marr [2]

George Robertson (1742 - 1788)
Thomas Vivares (1735 - )

Coloured engraving

published 25 March 1778
  • About the work

    This print is from a series of six views of Jamaica, which were commissioned by the sugar planter and historian William Beckford (1744-1799). Beckford was born in Jamaica, the son of Richard Beckford (died 1756), from whom he inherited four Jamaican sugar estates. He was also the nephew of William Beckford, Lord Major of London, and cousin of William Thomas Beckford, known for building Fonthill Abbey, in Wiltshire.

    After studying at Balliol College in Oxford, William Beckford travelled through Europe from 1767 to 1768. He later married and moved to Jamaica with his wife in February 1774, remaining there for 13 years. It was during his time in Jamaica that Beckford began to patronise artists he had met in England, inviting them to visit his Jamaican home. Among these artists were the portrait painter Philip Wickstead (died 1786) and landscape painter George Robertson (1742-1788).

  • About the artist
    Thomas Vivares was born in Derby; the son of landscape engraver Francis Vivares. He was trained by his father and won several prizes for drawing or engraving at the Society for the Encouragement of Arts, Manufactures and Commerce between 1760 and 1766. He exhibited his drawings and engravings at the Free Society (1764 and 1782) and the Society of Artists (1782). Vivares married twice, both weddings were at St. Pancras Old Church in Camden, London. He spent a period of his career in Paris and, while there, engraved landscapes after French painter Pierre Alexandre Royer and Swiss printmaker and draughtsman Adrian Zingg.
  • Explore
  • Details
    Title
    A View in the Island of Jamaica, of Roaring River Estate belonging to William Beckford Esq. near Savannah la Marr [2]
    Date
    published 25 March 1778
    Medium
    Coloured engraving
    Dimensions
    height: 41.00 cm, width: 55.60 cm
    Acquisition
    Purchased from Parker Gallery, December 1955
    GAC number
    3401