Image not yet available
About the work
Place: Department for Digital, Culture, Media & Sport, 100 Parliament Street
About the artist
Born in India in 1953, Sunil Gupta emigrated with his family to Canada where, as a teenager, he discovered his homosexuality and became increasingly drawn to photography. In 1976–77 he lived in New York, abandoning business studies to photograph street life and gay culture. From 1977–80 he studied photography at Farnham University for the Creative Arts, Surrey; completed an MA in photography at the Royal College of Art in 1983; and was awarded a PhD from the University of Westminster in 2018. An artist, filmmaker, curator and writer whose practice is committed to advocating for queer identity and freedom, Gupta has exhibited in the UK and internationally for over four decades. His retrospective, Sunil Gupta: From Here to Eternity is currently at The Photographers' Gallery, London, touring to the Ryerson Image Centre, Toronto in 2021.
- Untitled #02
- Series Title
- London 1982
- Number 1 in an edition of 5, plus 2 artist's proofs
- digital print
- height: 71.1 cm; width: 106.7 cm
- Purchased from the artist March 2021, through the Art XUK project 2020-21
- recto: signed by the artist 'Untitled #02, London 1982 / Sunil Gupta - 1/5 - print 2020'
- Hales Gallery; from whom purchased by UK Government Art Collection, 18 March 2021
- GAC number