Wedding Jange II
Poster paint, gouache and gold dust on paper1991
About the work
Blending aspects of traditional Indian culture and contemporary British life, the style and format of The Singh Twins' works are inspired by Mughal miniature painting. Set within modern Liverpool (the artists' home), 'Wedding "Jange" II' depicts a British Asian wedding, with the groom's family departing on the "jange" or procession, to the bride's house. Interested in the Eastern and Western cultures present in modern Britain, The Singh Twins depict figures of all ages and all nationalities, representing the fusion of traditions in multicultural Britain.
About the artist
- horseback, bicycle, bus, windscreen, car, aeroplane, drum (as subject), camera, dance, drinking, television, ball, topography, townscape/cityscape, plant, flower, tree, fish, horse, cat, cloud, river, Indian, elderly woman, boy, baby, man, woman, girl, crowd, celebration, 20th century costume, vest, spectacles, turban, Coca Cola, telephone, can, plate, ice cream, chips, pea, wedding, sword, glass, road, lawn, aerial, lamp post, pavement, house, church, window, staircase, domestic interior, chair, table (as Subject), ship
The Singh Twins
- Wedding Jange II
- Poster paint, gouache and gold dust on paper
- width: 55.00 cm, height: 37.00 cm
- Purchased from the artists, May 2005
- bl: AMRIT KAUR SINGH. 1991.
- GAC number