Dream Inventory, January 2000
About the work
Place: Department for International Trade, Old Admiralty Building
Jane Gifford began recording her dreams in a written form on a daily basis in 1994. This painting provides a visual record of her dreams during one month. As might be appropriate for something as personal as a dream, we have to get close to the painting to see individual elements. Each small picture represents a significant motif from a dream. They are set out in a grid in chronological order, each painted in blue unless the artist remembered them as another colour. Gifford is interested in the creative richness and unpredictability of dreams, those which are mundane as well as those more personally significant.
About the artist
Jane Gifford studied at Newcastle University, the Brooklyn Museum Art School in New York and Central St Martins’ College in London. For the past 12 years she has made drawings, paintings and installations based upon her dreams. She has had several solo exhibitions in London, Manchester, and New York, and has participated in numerous group shows. Her many commissions have included paintings for television and film and for public buildings including St Mary’s Hospital in London.
- canoe, motorcycle, van, car, aeroplane, guitar, bagpipes, vase (as Subject), photograph (as Subject), book, television, cricket, lemon, dog, donkey, sheep, dream, necklace, handbag, briefcase, hat, bucket, clock, can, teacup & saucer, wine glass (as Subject), bottle, greenhouse, pyramid, bench, chair, table (as Subject), hovercraft
Jane Gifford (1955 - )
- Dream Inventory, January 2000
- Oil on canvas
- height: 112.70 cm, width: 112.00 cm
- Purchased from the artist, April 2000
- verso tl: "Dream Inventory - January 2000" Jane Gifford 2000
- GAC number