The title of this work indicates that the image is inspired by a sketch made by the Bishop of Glasgow in 1848. Walter John Trower, Rector of Wiston in the diocese of Chichester, was consecrated as Bishop of Glasgow and Galloway in September 1848. Trower remained Bishop until 1859. He then served for a short time as Sub-Dean of Exeter Cathedral, before becoming the Bishop of Gibraltar (1863–68). Trower was also an author and amateur artist. His sketch of the view seen in this print was made in the year he became Bishop of Glasgow and Galloway. The sketch was later redrawn by professional artist Adam Arnst and engraved by the firm of Schenck & MacFarlane. Trower died, aged 73, on 24 October 1877.
According to lettering beneath the image, the print was ‘SOLD FOR THE BENEFIT OF THE TRAINING SCHOOL (ST ANDREWS HALL) OF THE SCOTTISH EPISCOPAL CHURCH’. In 1857 this episcopal training school, or church school, was awarded a Privy Council grant of £200 for education. However, just six years later, in July 1863, the school building was advertised for sale in the Midlothian newspaper 'The Caledonian Mercury'.
Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. This category only includes cookies that ensures basic functionalities and security features of the website. These cookies do not store any personal information.
Any cookies that may not be particularly necessary for the website to function and is used specifically to collect user personal data via analytics, ads, other embedded contents are termed as non-necessary cookies. It is mandatory to procure user consent prior to running these cookies on your website.