The Declaration of Independence of the United States of America. July 4th 1776.
Engraving20 December 1820
- About the work
About the artist
John Trumbull was born in Lebanon, Connecticut; the son of a shipowner and later Governor of Connecticut. He studied at Harvard and under J. S. Copley, before serving in the War of Independence. In 1780 he travelled to London to study under B. West. He was imprisoned as a spy and forced to leave the UK but returned in 1784 to continue in West’s studio and study at the Royal Academy schools. He went back to America in 1789 and travelled along the east coast, painting portraits of participants in the War. He was later back in London to serve as Secretary to the Jay Treaty Commission. In 1817, in America again, he was commissioned to produce four murals for the dome of the Capitol and elected President of the American Academy. He died at 87.
- Harrison, BenjaminAdams, JohnSherman, RogerLivingston, Robert RJefferson, ThomasFranklin, BenjaminThomson, CharlesHancock, John
- drum (as subject), paper (as Subject), book, topography, male portrait, group portrait, 18th century costume, coat, stockings, waistcoat, breeches, shoe, flag, door, window, chair, table (as Subject), state interior
- Materials & Techniques
- The Declaration of Independence of the United States of America. July 4th 1776.
- 20 December 1820
- height: 58.00 cm, width: 79.20 cm
- Purchased from Baynton-Williams, August 1979
- GAC number