- About the work
About the artist
Very little is known of the engraver J. J. Shury. He engraved illustrations to a publication titled ‘Picture of Margate and its Vicinity’ (published in 1820), from the drawings of Captain G. Varlo. The book was the last known publication, written by playwright and theatre historian Walley Chamberlain Oulton (active 1783-1820).
William G. Moss, illustrator and topographical painter, lived at No. 4 Hall Place in Kennington, South London. Moss illustrated ‘The History and Antiquities of the Parochial Church of St. Saviour, Southwark’, published in 1818. In 1827, he exhibited three works at The Royal Society of British Artists in Suffolk Street, London. The titles of these were as follows: ‘A Scene near Hartfield, Sussex’; ‘Interior of Esher Church, Surrey’; and ‘A Wreck on the Castle Rocks, Hastings’.