#connectedbyart

Follow, share and connect through art

Silver Queen Anne Candlestick

Philip Rollos (c1660 - after 1715)

Britannia silver candlestick with detachable Sheffield plate nozzle

1702-1703
  • About the work

    This neo-classical candlestick has a stepped base supporting a fluted, Greek style column. It is part of a collection of some 60 items of historic Government silver, most of which were transferred to the Government Art Collection from the Privy Council Office. Many of the items were supplied by the Jewel House, the department of the Royal Household responsible for producing silver for British Government use.

    The base of the candlestick is engraved with the Royal Coat of Arms and the monogram 'AR', referring to Queen Anne, during whose reign it was made. Its design is a style which disappeared from production shortly after this example was made, partly as a result of changing fashions and partly because of developments in production methods. In the early eighteenth century, the technique of casting silver began to be employed and this particular design was not well suited to being cast. Also, neo-classical designs fell out of favour soon after 1700 and it was not until the 1760s or 1770s that there was a revival in taste for this style.

    Philip Rollos was a goldsmith who worked in England, but was probably born in France and of Huguenot extraction (the Huguenots were members of the Protestant Reformed Church). He lived in England for some years before his denization (when he became an adopted citizen) in 1691. During the late seventeenth century, Rollos owned a successful goldsmith's workshop in London and became one of the Subordinate Goldsmiths to William III and Queen Anne. He was succeeded in this role by his son, Philip Rollos the Younger (active 1705-after 1720).

  • Explore
    Places
    Subjects
  • Details
    Title
    Silver Queen Anne Candlestick
    Date
    1702-1703
    Medium
    Britannia silver candlestick with detachable Sheffield plate nozzle
    Dimensions
    height: 24.50 cm, width: 15.30 cm, depth: 15.20 cm
    Acquisition
    Transferred from the Privy Council Office, January 2008
    GAC number
    DM34