A View of the Lake & Island seen from the Lawn, with the Bridge, the Temples of Arethusa, & Victory, & the great Pagoda, in the Royal Gardens at Kew

  • About the work
    Location
    Country: Spain
    City: Madrid
    Place: British Embassy
  • About the artist
    Landscapist William Marlow was born in London or Southwark. He trained in the studio of marine painter Samuel Scott in Covent Garden (1756-61) and is also thought to have studied at the St Martin’s Lane Academy. Marlow spent his early career travelling around England in search of subjects; painting English country houses and the areas around Twickenham, Richmond, and the lower banks of the Thames. On the advice of the Duchess of Northumberland he travelled to France and Italy (1765-66). He exhibited at the Society of Artists, becoming Vice-President in 1778, and at the Royal Academy. Marlow lived for a time in Leicester Fields (now Leicester Square). His one pupil was John Curtis. In c.1785 he retired to Twickenham, where he died aged 72.
    Paul Sandby, painter, printmaker and drawing master, was born in Nottingham. He was taught by his elder brother, architect and draughtsman Thomas Sandby, and followed Thomas in working at the Board of Ordnance. In 1747, he was made official draughtsman to the military survey of the Scottish Highlands, following the 1745 Jacobite rebellion. During the Gordon Riots of 1780, he was employed to record the military encampments in London. He was chief drawing master at the Royal Military Academy in Woolwich from 1768 to 1796. Sandby was involved in the establishment of the Society of Artists and was a founder member of the Royal Academy. His made numerous views of Windsor Castle and Windsor Great Park, over a period of around 50 years.
  • Explore
  • Details
    Title
    A View of the Lake & Island seen from the Lawn, with the Bridge, the Temples of Arethusa, & Victory, & the great Pagoda, in the Royal Gardens at Kew
    Date
    1763
    Medium
    Coloured engraving
    Acquisition
    Purchased from Parker Gallery, June 1971
    GAC number
    9283