Lumley Castle, County Durham
About the work
This distant view of Lumley Castle, near the town of Chester-le-Street, County Durham, was probably commissioned by either John Lumley-Savile, eighth Earl of Scarbrough (1788-1856) or by his son, Richard George Lumley, ninth Earl (1813-1884), the owners and occupants of the castle during the mid-19th century.
Lumley Castle was founded by Sir Ralph Lumley (c.1360-1400). The building dates from the 14th century but was largely rebuilt in 1712. Sir Ralph lost the castle as a result of his involvement in a conspiracy to supplant Henry IV with Richard II. However, the castle later reverted back to the Lumley family, who have remained closely associated with it. Richard, second Viscount Lumley was created Earl of Scarborough in 1690. Today, the castle remains in the possession of the current Lord Scarbrough, although it now functions as a hotel.
About the artist
- Lumley Castle, County Durham
- Oil on canvas
- height: 66.00 cm, width: 87.00 cm
- Purchased from Oscar & Peter Johnson, July 1970
- With O & P Johnson; from whom purchased by the Department of the Envirmonment in July 1970
- GAC number