Parish Church of St. Mary Redcliff, Bristol
Colour lithographpublished 2 January 1865
About the work
This print is dedicated to ‘Viscount Stratford de Redcliff [sic]’. Diplomat Stratford Canning (1786–1880) was raised to the peerage as Viscount Stratford de Redcliffe in 1852. The title, taken from the church of St Mary Redcliffe, alludes to William Canning (died 1474), an ancestor of Stratford Canning, who was five times Mayor of Bristol and jointly responsible for the 15th-century rebuilding of St Mary Radcliffe.
The print was issued by the lithography firm of John Lavars in 1865. Lavars simultaneously printed a ‘circular’, which promoted the lithograph as ‘undoubtedly the best representation of the venerable fabric hitherto executed’ and which stated that, until 31 March 1866, one half of the proceeds from sales of the print would be used towards the restoration of the tower and spire of the church ‘provided not less than 100 copies’ were sold by that time. The lithograph was available tinted, treble tinted (a form of colour printing) or fully-coloured by hand (like this example).
The numerous other fundraising initiatives for the church were eventually successful and the upper part of the spire was reconstructed in 1872, to a height of 292~feet (89~meters).