New Government Offices
Watercolour on paper1900
About the work
Following a competition, John Brydon was appointed as the architect for the new Government Offices on Great George Street in London in 1898. However, Brydon died suddenly of a throat infection just after the foundations of the building had been laid. The remainder of the project was overseen by architect Sir Henry Tanner, who worked for the Office of Works (the Government Department responsible for building projects). The building was completed in 1912 and is now occupied by HM Treasury and parts of the Cabinet Office. When this perspective drawing of Brydon's design was exhibited at the Royal Academy under the title 'Government Offices: the Circular Court' in 1900, a reviewer for 'The British Architect' commented:
'A good monochrome drawing by C. W. English of what is perhaps the best feature of Mr. Brydon's design, though one does long for some originality at the beginning of a new century.'
About the artist
- New Government Offices
- Watercolour on paper
- height: 58.50 cm, width: 95.00 cm
- Purchased from Mrs H B Cousins, March 1969
- bl: C.W.E.delt. ; br: J.M.BRYDON.ARCHT. / .1900.
- GAC number