The humble dwellings of the village of Killin are seen by the side of the white waters of part of the River Dochart known as the Falls of Dochart, in Stirling (formerly Perthshire), in the central highlands of Scotland. Rocky hills are seen beyond the water and two figures are at the water’s edge, one on horseback.
The village of Killin remains a popular scenic attraction to this day. It is located close to the confluence of the rivers Dochart and Lochay and near the south western end of Loch Tay, a narrow loch, some 14½ miles in length. By the end of the 18th century there was a thriving linen industry in the village of Killin. Locally grown flax was spun in small mills and worked by local weavers.
J. H. Stevenson is best-known for his miniature portraits and, on his business card, described himself as ‘drawing master and miniature painter’. However, late in his career he also produced some landscape views and genre scenes. Stevenson exhibited in London at the Society of Artists from 1776 to 1782, at the Free Society in 1782 and at the Royal Academy from 1792 to 1833. He lived successively at 18 Fleet Street, in the City; 15 Finsbury Square, central London; and 3 Artillery Court, in the City.
Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. This category only includes cookies that ensures basic functionalities and security features of the website. These cookies do not store any personal information.
Any cookies that may not be particularly necessary for the website to function and is used specifically to collect user personal data via analytics, ads, other embedded contents are termed as non-necessary cookies. It is mandatory to procure user consent prior to running these cookies on your website.