About the work
This watercolour shows an 18th-century arch, which was once an addition to the Old London Bridge. The arch is seen here within the grounds of Guy’s Hospital in London, where it can still be found today. When the bridge was demolished in 1831, some of the series of 14 stone alcoves from the ends of the piers were reused elsewhere. This example, located within a courtyard in~the grounds of Guy’s Hospital, now has a statue of John Keats (unveiled in 2007) seated inside. Other similar arches from Old London Bridge can be found in the garden of the Courtlands Estate in East Sheen and in Victoria Park, east London, where two survive.
About the artist
John Crowther exhibited architectural subjects at the Royal Academy, the Royal Society of British Artists and the Royal Institute of Painters in Water Colours, all in London, between 1876 and 1892.
John Crowther ( - 1898)
- Guy’s Hospital
- Watercolour on paper
- height: 37.50 cm, width: 26.00 cm
- Purchased from Parker Gallery, March 1967
- BL: J.Crowther 87
- GAC number