John Peter Laporte was predominately a watercolour painter, but occasionally worked in oils. He became a pupil of the landscape painter John Melchior Barralet in London and first exhibited at the Royal Academy and British Institution in 1885. During his early career he lived in the vicinity of Soho and Tottenham Court Road, before moving to Winchester Street, near Edgware Road, in 1802, where he would remain until 1830. Laporte was a member of the Associated Artists in Water-Colours and produced several etchings as illustrations for publications, collaborating with William Frederick Wells on a series of 72 etchings after paintings by Gainsborough. He died in 1839 at his home in Upper Coleshill Street, Pimlico.
Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. This category only includes cookies that ensures basic functionalities and security features of the website. These cookies do not store any personal information.
Any cookies that may not be particularly necessary for the website to function and is used specifically to collect user personal data via analytics, ads, other embedded contents are termed as non-necessary cookies. It is mandatory to procure user consent prior to running these cookies on your website.