Palemon and Lavinia in a Landscape
About the work
This is one of a pair of works with Howes’ ‘Celadon and Amelia in a Landscape’ (GAC 7079). Their subject is taken from ‘The Seasons’, a series of four poems by the Scottish poet James Thomson (1700-1748).
Thomson’s poem ‘Winter’ was first published in April 1726. ‘Summer’ was published in February 1727 and ‘Spring’ in June 1728. Revised and enlarged versions of the three works were reissued as ‘The Seasons’ by bookseller Andrew Millar in June 1730, along with Thomson’s fourth poem in the series, ‘Autumn’, and a final ‘Hymn’.
‘The Seasons’ was hugely successful throughout the 18th and 19th centuries and remains a popular work to this day. It celebrates the magnificence and harmony of nature and its impressive picturesque landscapes have made it a favourite work for artists to illustrate.
John Howes painting ‘Palemon and Lavinia in a Landscape’ illustrates a scene from Thomson’s ‘Autumn’ when, in a rural setting at harvest-time, the gentleman Palemon professes his love for Lavinia, a country girl.
About the artist
Little is known of the family or early life of miniature and enamel painter John Howes. He entered the Royal Academy Schools on in 1770 and gained the Academy's silver medal two years later. He exhibited portraits, landscapes, and other subjects in enamel, as well as some miniatures, at the Royal Academy between 1772 and 1793, showing 32 works at the Academy in total. In 1777 he painted an enamel portrait of David Garrick from a drawing by decorative painter and draughtsman Giovanni Battista Cipriani, which was presented to the actor by the Incorporated Society of Actors of Drury Lane Theatre. Horatio [Horace] Walpole, Fourth Earl of Orford, is reported to have commented that the likeness was ‘very bad and unlike’.
- Palemon and Lavinia in a Landscape
- Oil on canvas
- height: 52.50 cm, width: 39.00 cm
- Purchased from the Jeremy Maas Gallery, July 1965
- Sold through Sotheby's, London, on 15 January 1964 (Lot 183; with GAC 7079); from which sale purchased by J. S. Maas & Co. Ltd., London; from whom purchased by the Ministry of Works in July 1965
- GAC number