About the work
Place: Department for International Trade, Old Admiralty Building
Eduardo Paolozzi’s Untitled reflects a shift in his sculpture practice that occurred in the early 1960s, when he moved away from the rough and jagged forms of his earlier work, and began casting in brass. The smooth gleam of these polished, shiny surfaces recall the metal figurines that decorate car bonnets, or the beauty of the precision of mechanistic components and forms that so appealed to Paolozzi. Untitled retains a sense of the totem-like objects of his earlier work, yet there is also a feeling that what is being revered is a love of the machine, echoing the ‘white heat of technology’, described in Harold Wilson’s new industrial policy of early 1960s Britain.
In 2017, Untitled was included as part of a major solo exhibition at the Whitechapel Gallery, featuring works in a range of media and providing a survey of Paolozzi’s artistic production across a 50-year period.
About the artist
Eduardo Paolozzi was born in Leith, Edinburgh, to Italian parents. During the Second World War he was interned in a camp as a foreign ‘alien’, before serving in the Royal Air Force until 1943. After the War, he studied at Edinburgh College of Art and at the Slade School, London. In 1947, he lived in Paris where he met the sculptor, Alberto Giacometti. Greatly influenced by Dada and Surrealism, he began producing distinctive collages. Returning to London in 1949, Paolozzi taught textile design at the Central School of Art and Design. In the 1950s and 1960s, he was a leading exponent of British Pop Art. Paolozzi represented Britain at the Venice Biennale in 1960. Retrospectives of his work took place at the Tate Gallery (1971), and the National-Galerie Berlin (1975).He was elected a Royal Academician in 1979, appointed Her Majesty's Sculptor in Ordinary for Scotland in 1986, and knighted in 1988. His numerous public commissions include mosaics in Tottenham Court Road Underground Station and Newton, after William Blake, a sculpture for the new British Library (1995).
- Brass sculpture
- height: 28.00 cm, width: 9.00 cm, depth: 10.00 cm
- Purchased from Kasmin Gallery, September 1964
- GAC number