The North Prospect of Woolwich, in the County of Kent
Coloured engraving26 March 1739
About the work
This view or ‘prospect’ of Woolwich shows the historic town as it was in the early 18th century. The main buildings of the town are clearly drawn and above each is a number which refers to the key below.
This image is part of a series of prospects of England and Wales, produced by brothers Samuel and Nathaniel Buck between 1728 and 1753. The Bucks undertook tours around England and Wales each year, producing detailed views of the locations they visited. They would typically plan their travels carefully, advertising their work in the local press of the places they intended to travel to before arriving, in the hope of attracting potential subscribers. The resulting prospects were published over a number of years and were made available to non-subscribers only after all the impressions had been published.
Below this image of Woolwich, text describes the town as it was in the early 18th century:
‘On the East end of the Town of Woolwich is the grand Repository of the Artillery... Here also is establish’d a Royal Foundery [sic] for the casting of Brass Cannon, and Mortar’s... Market on Friday...’
About the artist
Brothers Samuel and Nathaniel Buck were the leading British topographical draughtsmen and engravers of the 18th century. They produced several hundred drawings and engravings, including 87 ‘Prospects’ of England and Wales. The engravings are important visual records of the appearance of British urban landscapes prior to the Industrial Revolution. In many cases, the places depicted have since disappeared or changed beyond recognition. Their dedication in recording almost every corner of the country has left modern viewers with an invaluable record of Britain’s past. As demand for their prints fell away, Nathaniel took over a furniture business, while Samuel tried several professions, including teaching draughtsmanship and cleaning pictures.
- The North Prospect of Woolwich, in the County of Kent
- 26 March 1739
- Coloured engraving
- Purchased from the Parker Gallery, May 1964
- GAC number