A View of Clare Mount, one of the Seats of his Grace the Duke of Newcastle
Coloured engravingpublished 1750
About the work
The impressive structure of Claremont country house, near Esher in Surrey, is viewed from a distance. Fashionably dressed people are seen enjoying the landscaped grounds, where deer roam. A carriage drawn by several horses and a horse-drawn cart travel through the grounds.
The original house at Claremont was designed by architect and playwright Sir John Vanbrugh and built in 1708 for his own use. In 1714 Vanbrugh sold the estate to Whig politician Thomas Pelham-Holles, Earl of Clare, who later became Duke of Newcastle and Prime Minister. Newcastle commissioned Vanbrugh to continue work on the house, adding two great wings and building a fortress-like turret nearby.
This print, engraved by Jacob Bonneau after a drawing by John Rocque, was published in London by Rocque in 1750, when the house was occupied by the Duke of Newcastle. The building is now in use as Claremont Fan Court School, while the landscaped gardens are owned by the National Trust.