South East View of Bridge-North in Shropshire
About the work
The town of Bridgnorth is named after the North Bridge, so called because it was located further north than the bridge in the town of Quatford. In Paul Sandby’s view of Bridgnorth, houses are seen at either end of the bridge. On a slope to the right of the composition are town buildings amid trees. In the foreground, figures on the river bank are seen loading a boat, riding a horse, sitting on a cart drawn by oxen and mending a sail.
Sandby first visited Bridgnorth in 1770 and the town appears in the background of two later bodycolour landscapes; one at the Victoria and Albert Museum, dated 1794, the other at the Yale Center for British Art. The artist also exhibited his ‘East View of Bridgnorth’ at the Royal Academy in 1801.
About the artist
Paul Sandby, painter, printmaker and drawing master, was born in Nottingham. He was taught by his elder brother, architect and draughtsman Thomas Sandby, and followed Thomas in working at the Board of Ordnance. In 1747, he was made official draughtsman to the military survey of the Scottish Highlands, following the 1745 Jacobite rebellion. During the Gordon Riots of 1780, he was employed to record the military encampments in London. He was chief drawing master at the Royal Military Academy in Woolwich from 1768 to 1796. Sandby was involved in the establishment of the Society of Artists and was a founder member of the Royal Academy. His made numerous views of Windsor Castle and Windsor Great Park, over a period of around 50 years.
Paul Sandby (1731 - 1809)
- South East View of Bridge-North in Shropshire
- Coloured aquatint
- Purchased from Frank T Sabin, June 1963
- GAC number