- About the work
About the artist
Born in Bristol, Mary Fedden studied at the Slade School of Art (1932 –1936). She studied under the theatre designer, Vladimir Polunin and painted dance sets for Sadlers Wells. Her first solo exhibition was held in 1946 at the Heals furniture store. After her marriage to artist Julian Trevelyan in 1951, the couple travelled in Europe, Africa, India, Russia and America. Fedden has taught painting at the Royal College of Art and at the Yehudi Menuhin School. In 1956 she became a member of the London Group and from 1956–1959 she was the Chair of the Women’s International Art Club. Fedden has exhibited widely since 1953 and her works are represented in many public collections including the Royal Collection and Tate.
Mary Fedden (1915 - 2012)
- Purchased from St. George's Gallery, April 1963
- GAC number