Charles Montagu, Earl of Halifax (1661-1715) politician and financier

  • About the work

    This portrait by artist Michael Dahl is described by John Ingamells in his catalogue of 'Later Stuart Portraits 1685-1714' (2009) as ‘apparently Dahl’s first portrait of Halifax’. Other versions by Dahl show the sitter in full Garter robes or wearing the Garter badge and jewel.

    The work was formerly at Melton Park Hall, near Doncaster (purchased by Doncaster Council in 1948 and now Doncaster College of Education), the country seat of the Montagu family. However, the portrait was sold by Captain Frederick James Osbaleston Montagu through Christie’s on 28 June 1946 (Lot 116). Another similar portrait of Charles Montagu, Earl of Halifax (1661-1715), was included in the 1946 sale.

  • About the artist
    Portraitist Michael Dahl was born in Stockholm. He studied under M. Hannibal and D. K. Ehrenstrahl before moving to England in 1682. In 1684 he visited Paris with Henry Tilson, possibly accompanying Godfrey Kneller. Dahl and Tilson travelled on to Rome. After converting to Catholicism, Dahl was able to paint Queen Kristina. He also painted Pietro Garoli of the Accademia di S. Luca. Dahl and Tilson returned in 1689 and Dahl was patronised by Prince George of Denmark and the Duke of Somerset. Queen Anne later commissioned he and Kneller to paint 14 portraits of Admirals, although Kneller alone remained Principal Painter. Dahl painted an equestrian portrait of Prince George for Windsor and portraits of Tories for the Queen. He died aged 84.
  • Explore
    People
    Montagu, Charles, Earl of Halifax
    Places
    Materials & Techniques
    canvas, oil, oil painting
  • Details
    Title
    Charles Montagu, Earl of Halifax (1661-1715) politician and financier
    Date
    Medium
    Oil on canvas
    Dimensions
    height: 122.00 cm, width: 99.00 cm
    Acquisition
    Purchased from Christie's, 28 June 1946
    Provenance
    Captain F. Montagu, Milton Park, Doncaster; by whom sold through Christie's, London, 28 June 1946 (Lot 116) as by ‘Kneller (school of)’; from which sale purchased by ‘Cosh' or 'Cashi’ on behalf of the Office of Works
    GAC number
    58