A View of Ullswater toward Poola Bridge. A Lake between Cumberland and Westmoreland
Coloured engravingpublished 21 June 1753
About the work
In the foreground of this Cumbrian landscape, fashionable women are seen walking with men holding guns. To the right is a wooded hill. A river spanned by a bridge winds towards the lake, surrounded by mountains, in the distance. This work was both drawn and published by artist William Bellers and is plate six of his series of eight engraved views of landscapes in northern England.
Ullswater is the second largest lake in the English Lake District and measures approximately 9 by ¾ of a mile. It is in the shape of a ‘Z’, with three separate ribbon-like sections surrounded by mountains and is commonly regarded as the most beautiful of English lakes.
Pooley [Poola] Bridge, near the edge of Ullswater Lake, spans the River Eamont just before it meets the northern end of the lake. The name of the bridge is derived from a large pool in the river, which once existed near the location of the bridge, but has now disappeared. The adjacent village of Pooley Bridge includes two main streets of old stone houses.
About the artist
Engraver Pierre [Peter] Charles Canot is thought to have been born in France in c.1710; the brother of painter Philippe Canot. He was presumably in London by c.1735, when he produced hunting prints after paintings by John Wootton. A further set of prints, after marine works painted by Peter Monamy, were published in 1746. In 1758 he began a lasting collaboration with marine artist Richard Paton. The outbreak of the Seven Years' War brought commissions for depictions of the many naval engagements. He exhibited 19 works at the Society of Artists from 1760 to 1769 and was elected one of the original associate engravers of the Royal Academy in 1770, exhibiting there until 1776. Canot died at his home in Hampstead Road, in the winter of 1777-78.
Jean Baptiste Claude Chatelain (c.1710 - c.1771)
Pierre Charles Canot (1710 - 1777)
- A View of Ullswater toward Poola Bridge. A Lake between Cumberland and Westmoreland
- published 21 June 1753
- Coloured engraving
- Purchased from Frank T Sabin, August 1960
- GAC number