Doddington in the County of Lincolne, the Seate of Sir Thomas Hussey Bt.
Coloured engravingpublished 1707
About the work
Doddington Hall was built for Thomas Tailor, Registrar to the Bishop of Lincoln. It was designed by the architect Robert Smythson (1534/5-1614), who also designed Longleat House in Wiltshire and Hardwick Hall in Derbyshire. Building work was completed in 1600. After Thomas Tailor’s death, the Hall was inherited by his son, Thomas (died 1652). It later passed to his granddaughter, Elizabeth Anton (1592-1658), who married Sir Edward Hussey of Honington. Their son, Sir Thomas Hussey (1639-1706), inherited Doddington Hall in 1658 and is named as the owner in this engraving, published in 1707. The Hall has not been sold since and remains in the family today, although the family name has changed five times as the estate has been passed down through the female line.
About the artist
Leendert Knijff, better known as Leonard Knyff, was born in Haarlem in 1650 and followed his brother Jacob (also an artist) to London at some point after 1676. In 1694, Knyff was made a British citizen. He began his career painting still lifes but became better-known in Britain for his views of gardens and country houses. The birds-eye view format, which was popularised in the UK by Knyff, is thought to have first been introduced to the British landscape tradition by his brother, Jacob.