John Thomas Groves was born in London; the son of a bricklayer. He was apprenticed to his father, before training as an architect. Groves exhibited at the Royal Academy in 1778 and 1780. For the next ten years he lived in Italy, exhibiting Italian views on his return. In 1794 he was elected a member of the Florentine Academy. He became the Clerk of Works for St. James’s, Whitehall and Westminster; designed country houses and monuments; and repaired or altered churches. His designs include a Bath House in Tunbridge Wells and the Nelson Monument, Portsdown Hill. He was made Master of the Tylers’ and Bricklayers’ Company in 1810. In 1811 he designed an obelisk for Garbally Park, County Galway, but died at home in Scotland Yard the same year.
Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. This category only includes cookies that ensures basic functionalities and security features of the website. These cookies do not store any personal information.
Any cookies that may not be particularly necessary for the website to function and is used specifically to collect user personal data via analytics, ads, other embedded contents are termed as non-necessary cookies. It is mandatory to procure user consent prior to running these cookies on your website.