Sir Richard Wood (1806-1900) Consul-General to Tunisia 1855-79
About the work
After Richard Wood (1806-1900) was made British Consul-General to Tunisia in 1855, he arrived in Tunis to find that the Residence used by his predecessor, a palace at La Marsa owned by the Bey of Tunisia, was again in use by the Bey. With no official residence, Wood initially lived with the French Consul and later in a room attached to the Chapel of St Louis, at Carthage. Eventually he was able to purchase a house known as the Palais Ben Ayyad from the Bey’s Treasurer, who was forced to move to France following disgrace for misconduct. The Bey agreed to bear the cost of expanding Palais Ben Ayyad and Wood added an additional wing of his own design and a dome to enclose the courtyard. The house remains one of the most unusual Ambassador’s residences today (see GAC 17675).
- Sir Richard Wood (1806-1900) Consul-General to Tunisia 1855-79
- Oil on canvas
- height: 75.50 cm, width: 60.50 cm
- Presented by the Sitter's Granddaughters, 1957
- br: LM / 1877; Frame bears label with inscription: Sir Richard Wood, CCMG / B1806 - D1900 . H.M. Agent and Consul General 1855-79 / The first to live in this house / painted by "L.M." in 1877 / Presented by his granddaughters, 1957.
- Presented by sitter's grand-daughters Cecile Lascelles and Daisy Raffo, 1957.
- GAC number