View of Glugor House and Spice Plantations, Prince of Wales Island

  • About the work

    Glugor House is enviably located on the edge of a bay. Mountains rise up behind the house, which is within a nutmeg and clove plantation in George Town, the capital city of the state of Penang in Malaysia. The House was the home of a wealthy Scottish spice trader named David Brown.

    In the 1760s, Francis Light, a colonialist from Suffolk, established trading connections with the Sultan of Kedah (the hereditary title of the ruler of the Malaysian state of Kedah). In 1771, the Sultan offered Light the port and coastline of Kedah as far as the Island of Penang in return for protection from the Bugis people of the state of Selangor. When the offer was reiterated in 1786, it was accepted, creating a defensive alliance between the Sultan and the East India Company. The Island formally came under British rule on 11 August 1786 and was renamed Prince of Wales Island. It remained under British rule until independence was gained in 1957.

    This print, after a watercolour by Colonel Robert Smith, probably made in 1818, is part of a series of ten plates engraved and coloured by William Daniell, and published as the series ‘Views of Prince of Wales Island’ in 1821.

  • About the artist
    William Daniell was a much travelled landscape painter. In 1784 he went to India with his uncle, the artist Thomas Daniell, where he assisted Thomas with his drawing and sketching. By the time they returned to England in 1794, William was not only a proficient draughtsman but had also perfected the art of aquatinting. He was elected an Associate of the Royal Academy in 1807 and a Royal Academician in 1822. He refused the post of draughtsman to an Australian expedition to instead make numerous sketching tours throughout England and Scotland. Daniell is regarded as a superb aquatinter and his best works are thought to be among his Scottish views for ‘Voyage Round Great Britain’. He died in London in 1837.
  • Explore
  • Details
    Title
    View of Glugor House and Spice Plantations, Prince of Wales Island
    Date
    1 January 1821
    Medium
    Coloured aquatint
    Acquisition
    Purchased from Parker Gallery, November 1956
    GAC number
    3624