View of Eton College Chapel

  • About the work
    Location
    Country: UK
    City: London
    Place: Government Hospitality, Lancaster House

    While a boy fishes from the edge of the River Thames, two others, one with a fishing rod, watch from a wooden bridge above. Beyond them is a view of Eton College in Berkshire, framed by dense leaves on the trees to either side.

    This is one of several views of Eton College by painter, builder and architect William Ingalton. Ingalton exhibited a ‘View of Eton College’ at the Royal Academy in 1819; ‘Eton College’ at the British Institution in 1820; and ‘Eton College, sunset’ at the British Institution in 1822. He also produced several views in and around the town itself.

    The artist may be related to the Eton-based bookseller Thomas Ingalton, who sold a series of lithographic prints of the town of Eton in 1821; then, as ‘Ingleton & Son’, published ‘Six Views of Eton College’, a series of lithographs after artist J. Dolby, in c.1839; and also 24 lithographic views titled ‘Memorials of Eton College’, after C. W. Radclyffe, in 1844.

  • About the artist
    William Ingalton was born in Worplesdon, Surrey; the son of a shoemaker. During his early career he lived and worked in Eton, painting domestic scenes and landscapes. Between 1816 and 1826 he exhibited at the Royal Academy, British Institution and Society of British Artists. However, he later went into partnership with builder Henry Emlyn, abandoning painting because of ‘ill health’. The partnership was dissolved in 1833. In the 1841 census he is living in New Windsor with his wife, Sarah Ann, and two daughters; still working as a builder. In 1851 he is based in Clewer, near Windsor, and his profession is listed as architect and surveyor. By 1861 the family are living with Ingalton’s sister in Paddington, London. He died in Clewer, aged 72.
  • Explore
  • Details
    Title
    View of Eton College Chapel
    Date
    1834
    Medium
    Oil on canvas
    Dimensions
    height: 71.50 cm, width: 91.50 cm
    Acquisition
    Purchased from Spink & Son, November 1953
    Inscription
    br: W G I 1834
    GAC number
    2365