William Pitt (1759-1806) Prime Minister
Bronze statuette with malachite base1820
About the work
This statuette was purchased for Downing Street in 1953 by the then Minister of Works, David Eccles. Prime Minister Winston Churchill initially placed it in the Cabinet Room but it was later moved to one of the state rooms by Lady Churchill, where it remains today. It was made by German born sculptor, plaster figure maker and porcelain dealer Francis Hardenberg, who worked in England from 1783.
A similar biscuit porcelain statuette, also published by Hardenberg in 1820, is held in the Athenaeum Collection, London. It shows Pitt with his right hand on his hip and carrying a book in his left hand.
- William Pitt (1759-1806) Prime Minister
- Bronze statuette with malachite base
- height: 30.00 cm, width: 17.50 cm
- Purchased from Gerald Kerin, March 1953
- Published 10 July 1820 / by F Hardenberg
- With Gerald Kerin Ltd.; from whom purchased by the Ministry of Works in 1953
- GAC number