Frederick Nash was born in Lambeth; the son of a builder. He studied architectural drawing under Thomas Malton jnr, before entering the Royal Academy Schools. Nash was employed by architects and drew plates for John Britton’s ‘Architectural Antiquities’ (1807) and Britton and E. W. Brayley’s ‘The Beauties of England and Wales’ (1801-09). From 1807 he worked as architectural draughtsman and lithographer to the Society of Antiquaries. In 1810, he became a member of Society of Painters in Watercolours. He also painted in oils. Nash made sketching trips to Calais, Caen, the Lake District, the Moselle and the Rhine. In 1834 he moved to Brighton. He turned to landscape painting, particularly views of Sussex, before his death in Brighton, aged 73.
Commissioned by Dr John Fisher (1748-1825), Bishop of Salisbury and Exeter; by descent to Mrs. W. Berger (great granddaughter of Fisher); by whom sold through Christie’s, London, on 30 January 1953 (Lot 35; with 2060), as ‘The Choir of Salisbury Cathedral from the Lady Chapel’, for £10.10.0; from which sale purchased by Agnew’s Gallery, London, on behalf of the Ministry of Works
Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. This category only includes cookies that ensures basic functionalities and security features of the website. These cookies do not store any personal information.
Any cookies that may not be particularly necessary for the website to function and is used specifically to collect user personal data via analytics, ads, other embedded contents are termed as non-necessary cookies. It is mandatory to procure user consent prior to running these cookies on your website.