silver gelatin print on paper2011
© Anna Barriball
About the work
Looking closely at a small a black and white found photograph I was drawn to the silvery reflective surface of the stream in the picture. I digitally scanned and cropped out a rectangular area of the water. I enlarged and reorientated the crop from landscape to portrait playing on the surface of the water and the surface of a mirror.
This is reflective of the process-led approach of her work in general that draws on observations of the environment and architectural fabric surrounding her. Born in Plymouth, Anna Barriball lives and works in London and Berlin.
About the artist
Born in Plymouth, Anna Barriball attended the Falmouth School of Art (1991–92), Winchester School of Art (1992–95) and Chelsea College of Art (1999–2000). She has exhibited in the UK and internationally since 1995, with a first two-person exhibition at the Arnolfini, Bristol (2003), followed by a first solo show at Frith Street Gallery, London (2004). Barriball lives and works in London.
Anna Barriball (1972 - )
- Number 60 in an edition of 100
- silver gelatin print on paper
- height: 50.5 cm; width: 40.6 cm
- Purchased from Fruitmarket Gallery, January 2020
- verso: inscribed by the artist 'A Barriball 2011', bottom right; '60/100', bottom left
- The Fruitmarket Gallery, Edinburgh UK; from whom purchased by UK Government Art Collection, 8 January 2020
- GAC number