The Palace of Whitehall
About the work
This work shows the Lord Mayor’s Water Procession through London, which took place on 29 October 1683. The scene is focused on the River Thames, which is filled with barges belonging to the City of London and the various Livery Companies. Beyond the river is a waterfront view of the Palace of Whitehall. The then monarch, Charles II, can just be made out on a roof of the Palace, wearing a hat and the Star of the Garter. He is accompanied by his consort, Queen Catherine, and his brother, James, Duke of York (later King James II and VII). Whitehall Palace is shown before the rebuilding of the Queen's Apartments by Sir Christopher Wren in the reign and James II and before almost the entire palace was burnt down in 1698.
The original painting on which this print is based is now in the Royal Collection, having been acquired by Queen Victoria. The painting has been described as the work of ‘a proficient artist, probably from the Low Countries’ and was previously attributed to Dutch painter and etcher Dirck Stoop (c.1618-c.1676).
This large~photogravure was published in 1909 by the London Topographical Society by permission of the then king, Edward VII.
About the artist
Process engraver and typographer Sir Emery Walker was born in Paddington; the son of a coach builder. He established a printing and engraving firm with Walter Boutall in 1886. Walker lived close to William Morris in Hammersmith and the two joined Walter Crane in founding the Arts and Crafts Exhibition Society in 1888. Walker was elected to the committee of the Society for the Protection of Ancient Buildings, founded by Morris and Philip Webb, who influenced Walker in joining the Socialist movement. Morris and Walker established the Kelmscott Press in 1891. After Morris’s death, Walker and T. J. Cobden-Sanderson founded the Doves Press in 1900, although a disagreement between the two soon severed the partnership. Walker was knighted in 1930.