George Macartney, 1st Earl Macartney (1737-1806) diplomat and colonial governor
About the work
Interpretation about this artwork is under review
The Government Art Collection recognises its responsibility to artists, colleagues and all our audiences to represent the diversity of the UK and to embed anti-racist and equitable practices throughout our work. We are taking action to address inequality in the Collection and its interpretation.
- Macartney, George, 1st Earl Macartney
- quill, ink pot/ink stand, book (as subject), male portrait, 18th century costume, 19th century costume, suit, waistcoat, breeches, wig, lace jabot, shoe, Order of the Bath, Governor of Madras, Governor of British West Indies, diplomat, curtain, chair, table (as Subject)
Henry Edridge (1769 - 1821)
- George Macartney, 1st Earl Macartney (1737-1806) diplomat and colonial governor
- Pencil and monochrome wash on paper
- height: 32.00 cm, width: 23.00 cm
- Purchased from Christie's South Kensington, 7 July 2010
- bl: Edridge 1801.
- Spencer Collection (Althorp House); purchased from Christie's South Kensington (the Althorp Attic Sale), 7 July 2010, Lot 464
- GAC number