Extracts from the Poetic Geography of Five Continents (No.19)
Oil on canvas over hardboard2002
About the work
Blaise Drummond's paintings combine abstraction with meticulously-painted realism. Here, a woman pulls a trolley of multi-coloured slabs within an unidentifiable place. Intriguingly, no clue is given to unravel the relationship between the figurative image, abstract background, and the words of the title.
About the artist
Blaise Drummond was born in Liverpool and graduated in Fine Art from the National College in Dublin in 1994. He completed an MA at Chelsea in 1998 and began lecturing in 1999. Drummond has had solo exhibitions at the Rubicon Gallery in Dublin; the Castlefield Gallery in Manchester; the Andrew Mummery Gallery in London; the Aalst Museum in Belgium, and the Crawford Municipal Gallery in Cork. He has been the recipient of numerous awards from organisations, including the Arts Council of Ireland and the Irish Department of Foreign Affairs, and was awarded a residency at the Centre for Art and Nature in Catalonia. He lives in County Longford, Ireland.
Blaise Drummond (1967 - )
- Extracts from the Poetic Geography of Five Continents (No.19)
- Oil on canvas over hardboard
- height: 30.60 cm, width: 30.40 cm
- Purchased from the Contemporary Art Society, Art Futures 2002 Exhibition, April 2002
- verso: 'Extracts from the Poetic / Geography of Five Continents (No.19)' / Blaise Drummond / 2002
- Contemporary Art Society, Art Futures 2002 Exhibition
- GAC number