Palace of Westminster, London
Digital photographic print (Lambda print)2001
About the work
This is one of six photographs by Joy Gregory from her series, 'Cinderella Tours Europe'. Re-inventing the fairy tale, a pair of golden shoes is photographed in front of familiar landmarks in Geneva, Lisbon, Venice, Versailles, Paris and London. In each image, Gregory explores the idea that Cinderella is transformed into a Caribbean citizen who yearns to travel to a romanticised Europe.
Gregory developed this idea after interviews she made during a research trip around the Caribbean. She discovered that people had seen little of their own region but dreamed of visiting former colonial cities. Gregory's work questions ideas of national and cultural identity, travel and tourism in the light of current trends of globalisation.
About the artist
Joy Gregory (1959 - )
- Palace of Westminster, London
- Portfolio Title
- Cinderella Tours Europe
- Digital photographic print (Lambda print)
- height: 83.70 cm, width: 83.70 cm
- Purchased for the Foreign and Commonwealth Office, Whitehall, from the Organisation for Visual Arts Ltd, March 2002
- verso, bottom left: Cinderella Tours Europe - Palace of Westminster, London ; bottom right: Joy Gregory 1/3 / 2001
- Organisation for the Visual Arts, London
- GAC number