Kenneth Martin, a leading post-war artist, was born in Sheffield where he studied and worked before attending the Royal College of Art (RCA) in 1929. In 1930 he married Mary Martin (1907-1969) also a leading abstract artist. His first solo show was held at the Leicester Galleries in 1943 and he made his first kinetic sculptures in 1951. Martin taught at Goldsmiths’ College of Art from 1946 to 1967. In 1971 he was awarded an OBE and in 1976, an Honorary Doctorate at the RCA. A retrospective was held at the Tate in 1975. In 1985 a survey show of Martin’s drawings and paintings was held at the Serpentine Gallery, Londo while in 2007, an exhibition of Kenneth and Mary Martin’s work was held at the Camden Arts Centre in London.
Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. This category only includes cookies that ensures basic functionalities and security features of the website. These cookies do not store any personal information.
Any cookies that may not be particularly necessary for the website to function and is used specifically to collect user personal data via analytics, ads, other embedded contents are termed as non-necessary cookies. It is mandatory to procure user consent prior to running these cookies on your website.