In this mid 19th-century view, soldiers are seen parading in front of the Horse Guards building.
The 17th-century Horse Guards building (once the guard-house for the palace of Whitehall) was decayed beyond repair by 1749, when it was demolished to be replaced, in 1753, with the much grander, Palladian structure seen in this engraving. Construction of the new building, designed by painter, architect and designer William Kent, was completed in 1753. Kent had died by the time building work began, so architect John Vardy oversaw the project. The new Horse Guards building served as the headquarters of the British Army’s General Staff until 1872. It then continued to be used as the offices of the Commander-in-Chief of the British army until the post was abolished in 1904. The building subsequently became (and remains) the headquarters of two major army commands: the London District and the Household Division, both of which are under the command of a single Major-General.
Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. This category only includes cookies that ensures basic functionalities and security features of the website. These cookies do not store any personal information.
Any cookies that may not be particularly necessary for the website to function and is used specifically to collect user personal data via analytics, ads, other embedded contents are termed as non-necessary cookies. It is mandatory to procure user consent prior to running these cookies on your website.