The Prospect of Whithall / Vue du Palais Royall de Whitehall comme il est à present 1724
About the work
This engraving shows a view of Whitehall, looking south, with the Holbein Gate in the centre. It depicts the area as it was just 26 years after Whitehall Palace was destroyed by fire in 1698.
To the left of this composition is the Banqueting House, designed by Inigo Jones and completed in 1622. The only part of the Old Palace above ground level which survives today, it remains the property of the Queen, although it is now run by Historic Royal Palaces (an independent charity, which cares for five royal palaces) and is open to the public. To the right is the Old Horse Guards building, which was demolished between 1745 and 1753. The Holbein Gate, originally known as the King's Gate or the Cockpit Gate, was built in 1532 by King Henry VIII and is named after artist Hans Holbein. However, there is no evidence that Holbein had any part in its design, although he may have occupied lodgings in it. The gate was demolished in 1759 to make way for coach traffic.
About the artist
Johannes Kip, an engraver, draughtsman and dealer, was born in Amsterdam in 1653 but later worked in Britain. He was associated with the court of William of Orange and moved to London shortly after William landed in England with his forces in 1688 to claim the English crown. Kip produced a large body of work for British publishers, ‘Britannia Illustrata’ being one of his most important projects.
Johannes Kip (1653 - 1722)
- The Prospect of Whithall / Vue du Palais Royall de Whitehall comme il est à present 1724
- Presented by Captain Frank Spicer, May 1952
- Collection of Captain Frank Spicer
- GAC number