Sir Augustus John Foster, 1st Baronet (1780-1848) diplomat; HM Minister to Denmark 1814-1824
- About the work
About the artist
Christian Albrecht Jensen made his name as a portrait painter. Born in Bredsted, near Husum, he began his studies in Copenhagen at the Kongelige Danske Kunstakademi, where he was tutored by Christian August Lorentzen. He later travelled to Rome, an experience that influenced his own painting style. He returned to Copenhagen and from the mid 1820s to 1840 was regarded as the most popular portraitist in Denmark. He also provided copies of portraits in the national collection Frederiskborg Slot until 1847. During the 1830s he received fewer commissions. He was appointed to a position at the state collection, Kongelige Kobberstiksmaling in Copenhagen, in 1849 where he remained until his death.
- Sir Augustus John Foster, 1st Baronet (1780-1848) diplomat; HM Minister to Denmark 1814-1824
- Oil on canvas
- height: 218.00 cm, width: 127.50 cm
- Presented by Lt Colonel & Mrs A C May, August 1983
- Signed, dated and inscribed: 'Jensen/Hafnia [meaning 'Copenhagen'] 1825'
- Collection of Dorothy Elizabeth Vere May (1903-; née Foster; a direct descendant of the sitter; wife of Lt.-Col. Arthur Charles William May) of Glyde Court, Ardee, Co. Louth
- GAC number