King George V (1865-1936) Reigned 1910-36
- About the work
About the artist
William Downey (1829-1915) and his brother Daniel (1831-1881) were studio photographers of the Victorian period. Their first studio, founded in 1855, was located in South Shields. In 1863, they opened a branch on Eldon Square in Newcastle. In 1872 William moved to 57 & 61 Ebury Street in London and his brother continued to manage the Newcastle studio. The studio enjoyed royal patronage and received a Royal Warrant in 1879.