In Washington D.C. the first British Legation was established in 1820 but during the next 54 years the Mission moved 10 times. By 1874, it had moved to 1300 Connecticut Avenue, a classical building with mansard roofs (sloping on four sides) and a porte-cochère (or covered entrance) facing the avenue. This appears to be the building in depicted in Arthur Musgrave’s oil painting. In 1893, the Legation became an Embassy. By 1925, Connecticut Avenue was a busy, noisy street and so the Embassy was moved to Massachusetts Avenue. Musgrave’s painting, made in 1925, may have been commissioned to commemorate the old Embassy building, just before it was vacated.
Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. This category only includes cookies that ensures basic functionalities and security features of the website. These cookies do not store any personal information.
Any cookies that may not be particularly necessary for the website to function and is used specifically to collect user personal data via analytics, ads, other embedded contents are termed as non-necessary cookies. It is mandatory to procure user consent prior to running these cookies on your website.