The West Prospect of the Giants Causeway in the County of Antrim in the Kingdom of Ireland

  • About the work
    Location
    Country: UK
    City: London
    Place: Cabinet Office, 70 Whitehall

    This is one of a pair of prints (see also GAC 1562), which became popular throughout Europe and were seen as landmarks of both Irish topography and scientific illustration. They played an important part in the debate over how the Causeway came into existence.

    This engraving of the ‘West Prospect’ is dedicated to Alexander MacDonnell, fifth Earl of Antrim, the then owner of the Causeway, while that of the ‘East Prospect’ is dedicated to John Boyle, fifth Earl of Orrey, who helped with production costs.

    The original gouache paintings on which these prints are based were made by artist Susanna Drury in 1739 and are now in the collection of Ulster Museum, Belfast. A similar pair of paintings of the Causeway by Drury was sold from the collection of Glin Castle, Limerick, through Christie’s in May 2009.

  • About the artist
    Francois Vivares was born near Montpellier, France. He was apprenticed to a tailor but made drawings, etchings and engravings in his spare time. He moved to London, aged 18, to study under French engraver and draughtsman Jean-Baptiste-Claude Chatelain and later under Italian painter Jacopo Amigoni. By 1744 he was publishing prints. He opened a print shop near Leicester Fields (now Leicester Square), producing prints after his own work, that of his pupils and ‘of the best Masters’. He became one of the most renowned landscape engravers of his time and is particularly known for engravings after the works of French painter Claude Lorrain. In 1766, he became a member of the Incorporated Society of Artists. He died in London, aged 71.
  • Explore
  • Details
    Title
    The West Prospect of the Giants Causeway in the County of Antrim in the Kingdom of Ireland
    Date
    1 May 1777
    Medium
    Engraving
    Dimensions
    height: 41.00 cm, width: 67.00 cm
    Acquisition
    Purchased from Colnaghi, April 1952
    Provenance
    Collection of Prince Loewenstein; Liechenstein Collection; with Colnaghi, London; from whom purchased by the Ministry of Works on 21 April 1952
    GAC number
    1563