King Edward VII (1841-1910) Reigned 1901-10
Bronze statue, full lengthc.1912
About the work
This bronze statuette is a reduced version of a full size statue of Edward VII, located on the Champ de Mars, within the racecourse at Port Louis, Mauritius. The statue at Port Louis was paid for through public subscription. When it was unveiled by the Governor of Mauritius in 1912, large crowds attended the ceremony and the town was decorated in celebration of the event.
Edward VII was the eldest son of Queen Victoria and Prince Albert of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha. His reign of nine years introduced a mood of extravagance and folly, in marked contrast to the late Victorian era, and contributed to his considerable popularity as king. He travelled widely, making use of his family connections to nearly all the royal families of Europe. In particular, Edward encouraged closer ties with France and Russia. He was succeeded in 1910 by his second son, George V.
About the artist
Prosper Charles Adrien d’Epinay was born in Port Louis, Mauritius; the son of a politician. He studied under sculptor Jean-Pierre Dantan in Paris and Luigi Amici in Rome. D’Epinay exhibited at the Royal Academy, London, between 1865 and 1881, while based in Rome. In 1883 he exhibited in Paris as a member of the Cercle de l’Union Artistique. He is best-known for busts of the Empress Eugenie; actress Sarah Bernhardt and artist Henri Regnault, as well as a statue of his father (in Mauritius), Venus with Golden Girdle (1874) and some eight busts of Queen Alexandra. He was awarded the Royal Victoria Order in honour of his eight busts of Alexandra. He later executed caricature portraits and exhibited cartoons at the Salon des Humoristes in Paris.
- King Edward VII (1841-1910) Reigned 1901-10
- Bronze statue, full length
- height: 73.50 cm, width: 38.00 cm
- Purchased from Christopher Wood Gallery, September 1980
- on base, l: G. Nisini Fuse, Roma on base, r: P. d'Epinay cire perdue No.2 A Re Edoardo
- GAC number